Monday, April 13, 2009

WHERE DO I GO FOR BRUNCH ON THE PATIO?

We are currently in Houston's small window of amazing weather, so naturally, dining al fresco is on everyone's mind. Brunch on a wonderful patio is perfect for this time of year and, frankly, is underrated. My friends and I routinely enjoy weekend brunch -- sometimes to cure a hangover, sometimes to enjoy the weather, and sometimes just to partake in one of our favorite pastimes: drinking during the day. Whatever your reason for brunching outside, these are my favorite spots:

1. Bedford


Hands down, the best brunch in Houston. Before I tried Bedford -- a relatively new, upscale restaurant in the Heights -- I was skeptical, having heard mixed reviews. Most of the criticisms related to itsservice and timeliness of the food. I can't say that I'm surprised -- I had a horrible experience with Chef Gadsby when he was head chef at Soma. He singlehandedly ruined a 10-person tasting dinner that was sure to be, in his words, "the most amazing food experience of your lives." It didn't matter that every item on the pre-set, 10-course menu was tasty because we waited for an hour before receiving our first morsel of food! But I begrudgingly tried Bedford for the first time at a birthday dinner -- I didn't really have a choice because it wasn't my birthday! I will save the dinner blog for another post, but suffice it to say, Chef Gadsby and the Bedford staff blew me away.
So when my friends' parents were in town two weekends ago, we all decided to give it a go. I'm quite certain that I will be unable to do its brunch justice with this post, but here is my attempt: BEDFORD BRUNCH IS IN A LEAGUE OF ITS OWN. First, Bedford's patio is superb -- it's spacious, its chairs are comfy, and it's beautiful. Second, the service is top-notch. The servers are available and attentive without being in your business or annoying. Third, and most importantly, the food is exceptional. Without a doubt, Bedford's bacon omelet and potato omelet are the two best omelets I have ever put in my mouth. The combination of ingredients in each one (the former combines bacon, chilies, tomatoes, and cheese -- simple yet impeccable; the latter combines potatoes, caramelized onions, truffles, and cheese -- you can't go wrong with that combo) forces you to eat the entire omelet. Seriously. You are bush league if you don't.
We also shared the strawberry-blueberry waffle, which was outstanding and perfect to share because all you need is one or two bites. And of course we had mimosas and sangria, which were consistent. Their sangria recipe is very tasty, and you can get a pitcher for for $14 -- the pitcher goes a long way...our whole table (five of us) had multiple glasses. The spiked milkshakes are a creative twist on brunch beverages, and the Studewood (maker's mark, butterscotch syrup, and ice cream) is reason alone to go back. Skinny options: fresh fruit parfait with skim milk, no whip; two farm eggs (you can request egg whites), no meat, with a side salad.


When you go to Bedford, you are likely to run into one of its owners, the chef, or someone else affiliated with it, and they routinely take the time to stop by your table just for a chat to thank you for your patronage. While quite large, it is a very friendly place that has quickly made its way onto my short list of favorites in Houston. The only downside is that Bedford is only open for brunch on Sundays, so don't head over there on a Saturday.


http://www.bedfordrestaurant.com/


2. Backstreet Cafe

Everyone knows that Backstreet has a fantastic patio...but does everyone know that it has a phenomenal brunch with flavored mimosas that vary from week-to-week? If you haven't tried Backstreet's brunch, you should. I recommend the bacon-wrapped quail to start -- even if you aren't much into gamey foods, you'll love the flavor of the pair together (and of course the jalapeno grits top it off nicely). The Backstreet Benedict is a unique take on the traditional eggs benedict -- the eggs and Canadian bacon are served on two cheddar chive biscuits. For the sweets lover, the French toast is amazing -- it's stuffed with bananas and a caramel sauce! Pretty much everything on the menu is good, and includes some of Backstreet's most popular staples (e.g., vegetarian plate, pecan crusted chicken) for those who would rather lunch than brunch. Skinny option: goat cheese salad, dressing on the side.

http://www.backstreetcafe.net/


3. Farrago

Because so many new places have popped up in Midtown, Farrago is, in my opinion, too-often overlooked. Farrago has a fantastic patio. And it deserves to be on the list if for no other reason than bottomless mimosas for $9! But for those skeptics out there -- trust me -- Farrago actually does serve good food. Its chilaquiles (scrambled eggs, sausage, tortilla strips, cheese, and salsa) are great (especially before an afternoon of mimosa drinking!) and their huevos rancheros come with polenta, which makes them even tastier. But my favorite dish at Farrago (served at brunch, lunch, and dinner) is the jerked pizza. The combination of the jerk spice, Canadian bacon, fruits (pineapple & mango) and cheeses (mozzarella & manchego) is an open challenge to your self-restraint. I hope you give Farrago a chance -- you won't be disappointed!

http://www.farragohouston.com/


4. Tila's

I have to admit...Tila's never would have been on my short list of brunch destinations had one of my friends not organized brunch there a couple weeks ago. I was, frankly, skeptical. Turns out, she was dead on. Tila's is the perfect place to brunch casual (translation: hungover) style. The servers were informative and witty...I showed up first -- in my workout clothes -- claiming to need a table for nine on the patio. I could tell my server doubted whether I actually had nine friends because it took about 45 minutes for them all to show up. But it didn't matter -- she was as attentive to me as if my entire party was already there. I was initially devastated to learn that they didn't serve queso, but she assured me that their queso fundido would do the trick. She was right -- the beef queso fundido is a great appetizer or meal of its own. She also recommended the sopa de fideo (noodle soup), claiming that it would cure my hangover. She was right again...well I wouldn't say I was cured, but I was in good enough shape to tackle the Galleria for several post-brunch hours. Most of my friends had variations of the typical Mexican egg dishes (e.g., huevos rancheros, chiliquiles, etc.), and everyone left happy. I was not a huge fan of their margaritas -- they were too heavy on the mix for my taste, but those who drank the mimosas seemed pleased. Oh, and make sure to read the menu, which is infused with humor as a means of explaining their dishes. To sum it up, if you want brunch without the pomp and circumstance, go to Tila's.

http://www.tilas.com/

4 comments:

  1. I'll need to check out 3 of these 4 places (all but Farrago) for the first time for brunch -- and I thought I was an H-Town foodie! Nice job with the info K-Ham. Only question I have is, does Farrago have a patio?
    - Pimp C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent recommendations! I agree with your comments on Bedford and Backstreet. Looking forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about Hugo's? I heard that Bedford was expensive, is their brunch as hundred dollars as their din-din?

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I complement you on your excellent punctuation of it's and its in the Bedford post?

    ReplyDelete